Day 3
Day 3: 1/3/09
It is currently Sunday morning at 2 am but for some crazy reason, I can't sleep. Maybe cause my sleep schedule is so whacky. Anyways, I met my roommate last night at Petr the owner of the apartment. We couldn't go into the real place for someone was still in it so we would spend one night here. Not too bad, except Andy and I experienced real European culture and slept in one bed. Thankfully, it was wide but still, very stereotypical European.
The following morning, we went to a money exchange place at Petr recommended which didn't charge any commission which I thought was weird. So we both got good Czech money for our un-useful American money. Andy and I then split up after a quick tour of the nearby Wencelas Square. I went for the metro, couldn't find it so I went back up, where I, rather bashfully, ran into Andy again. Again we split up and I found another metro station and headed for Hradcany, the area with Prague castle.
So I went to Prague castle again and took more pictures. But then my camera started flashing a low battery warning again. I theorized that that was because it was cold. Cause as soon as I brought it back to the temporary apartment it was full. Go fig.
Lunch was with Andy and we grabbed a quick sausage in W Square. It could've been cooked a little slower, but all in all not too bad. The lady in the stall asked if I wanted onions, or at least, that's what I assume she asked since she pointed to the sweet looking tray of onions peels and slices. I nodded and she crammed the bottom of the bun with them till it overflowed. How she fit the hod dog like sausage on there I don't know but the thing was huge and tasted great.
We finally moved into our real apartment on Navratilova Street, building number 11, right across from a locksmith. That'd be a little frightening if I was paranoid. Nice place, gas heat, fully furnished and all inclusive. After all the math, its about $400 a month. In the words of an old man who watched three men run past his house at Virginia Beach: Nice.
At 6, we met our other classmates at the nearby school. The school is on the fifth or so floor of a building without a lift, just a big wide spiraling staircase. Only eight, altogether and all friendly. It should be a good course. And after I get certified, who knows what will come next?...
After the entire class hung out, Andy and I tried to get back to the apartment and got lost. In the freezing cold. We even got approached by a homeless man who asked for money but his broken English was very very hard to understand. So maybe its a good thing I'm here, to teach English. Maybe then the homeless do not have to be looked down upon for being uneducated! The to-be international language will be known by all, no matter the class, caste, or career! Just you wait, world, I'm coming!
Comments