Day 24

Day 24: Jicin

Today I traveled out to a little Czech town called Jicin, pronounced “yechin.” I rode the metro as far as possible to Cervy Most and boarded the right bus. I gathered from the other pasengers behavior that I was to say where I was going and then the bus driver would type in a small computer and it would say how much I owed for going that distance. Well when it was my turn, I said yessin not yechin. The driver gave me a funny look and as I struggled to explain, he pulled out a card with all of the destinations. I pointed to Jicin and he cried out loud, “Ah 'yeechin'!” I nodded and he charged me 110 crowns. A little over five dollars to go a little over one hundred kilometers.
Traveling over hills and snow, the bus stopped two maybe three times along the way as I listened to music and did some writing. Within 90 minutes on the bus and a grand total of two hours, I was far from the hustle and bustle of Prague and at a quiet bus station. Scott, a teacher from a small English school that I was applying for, meet me there and chatted as we went to the school. His English accent took a little getting used to but probably so did my American.
Remember how I said, maybe yesterday, that Jicin was a small city. I was wrong, its a village. It may boast 17,000 inhabitants, but that's gotta be way outside the main town center. It was a nice little area, surrounded by snow covered hills and mountains in the distance but.... it was so small! In comparison to Prague, which is not growing on me, this little place had one sight, two churches, two English schools, and a handful of native English speakers. Scott was able to count them off.
So, all in all, I have a second interview after my Spain adventure where I'll give them a demonstration English lesson with their students. Should be interesting.
Nice town, nice people. I'll wait and see. No definite yes or no. Except that they asked for a year long contract. Eh. I'm just a guy so commitment is a scary word for me.
In a way it makes Prague look a little better. Even if it is a big, dirty, fallen city

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1