Day 20
Day 20: 1/20/09
Thought for the day: "a prudent man should always follow in the path trodden by great men and imitate those who are most excellent, so that if he does not attain to their greatness, at any rate he will get some tinge of it." The Prince, by Machiavelli
We had our third Czech class and the teacher was not impressed with our 'survival Czech' skills. She suggests we practice in the real world but whenever I saw “Dobry Den” to someone, they either repeat it and I'm fine, or they say a long shpeel of Czech and I have to explain in English I only speak English. We're supposed to say “neruzomite Cesky” but I can never remember that when someone's staring at me expectantly.
So, everyone was going to a bookstore/pub/cafe/internet cafe for the inauguration. I tagged along constantly thinking of the Who: “meet the new boss... same as the ol boss.” But aw well. I'm glad our nation is at a point to elect a half-African man for president. It is truly historical. And I can tell my grandkids that I saw it on TV... in Europe.
I think I will save the embarrassing story about a drunk lady for a later time...
Thought for the day: "a prudent man should always follow in the path trodden by great men and imitate those who are most excellent, so that if he does not attain to their greatness, at any rate he will get some tinge of it." The Prince, by Machiavelli
We had our third Czech class and the teacher was not impressed with our 'survival Czech' skills. She suggests we practice in the real world but whenever I saw “Dobry Den” to someone, they either repeat it and I'm fine, or they say a long shpeel of Czech and I have to explain in English I only speak English. We're supposed to say “neruzomite Cesky” but I can never remember that when someone's staring at me expectantly.
So, everyone was going to a bookstore/pub/cafe/internet cafe for the inauguration. I tagged along constantly thinking of the Who: “meet the new boss... same as the ol boss.” But aw well. I'm glad our nation is at a point to elect a half-African man for president. It is truly historical. And I can tell my grandkids that I saw it on TV... in Europe.
I think I will save the embarrassing story about a drunk lady for a later time...
Comments