Day 25: My heart on my Sleeve

Day 25: 1/25/09::__My heart on my sleeve__
(I'm stealing your title, Caleb!)

It has come to my realization just how much Americans take for granted. I speak from my own perspective, so I am not condemning anyone without rebuking myself first. Be it cheap electronics or a lack of conquered history, USof Americans have it good. Sometimes we just don't know it.
Being far from home, I now understand all of the things I took for granted, or things that I did without knowing it. I took for granted English speaking TV channels, either a handful at my parent's without cable or in Lynchburg with cable. I sought entertainment and I could not find it as I would flip through eight or eighty channels and determine that nothing was on. Here, in my Czech apartment, we do have a TV and only two English speaking channels: EuroMTV and National Geographic. The latter is narrated by a British gentleman as stock footage of World War Two is played.
But most of all, I took for granted, I assumed to be always there, my friends. See, years of a sheltered (I'm not afraid to say it) Christian home and church followed by Liberty University along with Triple R Ranch brought to me multiple men and women of God that I grew with through the years. I somehow, not surprisingly, but somehow slowly so that I did not fully realize it, I surrounded myself with Christians of the same mindset as myself. Young men and women that I could relate with, share, talk to, and pray with. People that were close friends, some closer than others (sorry Billy Thompson but its true). My friends helped me become who I am today and I thank and blame them. But even more than this, I miss them.
See when I first read or heard that the Czech Republic was very and I mean very atheistic, I was like “uh, that's different.” But now that I'm here, walking past the many sex shops, seeing buildings that I suspect hold prostitution inside, and actually witness oh so much more, I fully understand the meaning of 'lost.'
It may be that you are reading this and don't fully understand everything I mean. You may not get 'it.' You don't lack the punch in your stomach every time you hear the name of my Savior spoken in vain or jest. You do not fall asleep with an mp3 player playing worship music in your ears, because that is the only way you feel you can stay strong.
Or, on the other hand, you may be praying for the lost. Pray for the people I see everyday who do not tend to smile, either for past oppression or for lack of joy. So you take joy in the fact that you can talk to, live with, or see everyday fellow brothers and sisters in the family of Christ.
I have thought about this and rationally determined that I am in a storm. I've had it good for a long time. To reiterate, I was for years in a sheltered (I'm not afraid to say it) Christian home and church followed by Liberty University, a Christian school, along with Triple R, a Christian summer camp. Did I surround myself with believers on purpose? Not really. I went to Liberty cause I thought that's where God was directing me at the time. I then questioned what is God's will? First Thessalonians 4:3 says that God's will is that I be sanctified! What is sanctification, you ask? OooOh. Don't get me started or I won't finish this blog today. In short, it is to be like God. Matthew 5:48 says to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. Impossible? Nothing is impossible for the Lord! You doubt that the Creator of the whole Universe who flicked the Red Sea open, snapped a soaking wet altar on fire, and breathed the dead back to life, can not justify you, or me?
Anyways, I'm in a storm. Its not easy to be a Christian here in Prague. Classmates getting drunk or high, temptation around every corner, depression lurking in my shadow. But no, my Savior is in the bow of the ship. He can take command of the wind and the rain, calming the sea. In His time. So do I wallow in self pity? Do I book the first flight back to my comfort zone? No. He does not test me beyond my capability, my endurance. So with endurance, and casting aside all weights, I will run. For now. I said I'll be away for six months to two years, I guessed. To be honest, I'm thinking more like six months. I do want to come home. That's truth. But I also want to experience Europe while I'm here. I may not like the stormy weather, I may hate that God is molding me, bashing me against the potter's table, but I pray and hope that I will be a useful vessel when its all said and done.

That said, I went to church again today, the International Baptist Church of Prague. Not that I have any deep loyal lines to Baptists, even if I grew up in a church of Baptists (if a church preaches Christ, I'm generally fine with going) but it was the closest. You ever go a couple hours after a normal mealtime and you think soon, real soon, we'll eat. And nope, it is still not yet. Then you think, Yes, this is it, I'm ready to eat! But no, not yet. Then finally, your mom comes out of the kitchen and says “Wash up, dinner time!” Ah, and then you sink your teeth into some perfectly cooked meatloaf, kiesh, potatoes, whatever floats your boat. Your roaring hunger is appeased. You are able to be happy again. Before, all you could think about was pacifying a very natural and real desire. You needed food. You were hungry for food.
I was hungry. I needed to be fed spiritually. I seriously doubt I could ever be a hermit because I had a little pep in my step as I went to church today. Singing next to people who were there just like me, worshiping the Risen Lord brings a certain joy, a peace that truly passes all understanding.

Am I being too spiritual? Too high and mighty with my churchy speech? I don't care.

It says in Hebrews not to forsake the fellowship of the brethren. How could I? How can you? How could people back in the times of massive church persecution? It had to have been far worse than what I am experiencing and still the issue had to be addressed. Why? In such darkness, how could anyone not seek a light?
In our apartment building, light switches have a tiny red light in the middle. And most of them are timed. Someone hits the light and walks down the stairs. Five minutes later, or so, it cuts off. I can see the little red light, push the switch and then can see everything and continue on my way safely.

Earlier, I mentioned how “It is God's will that you should be sanctified...” First Thessalonians 4:3. Well, Peter's first letter, chapter four, verse nineteen hints that a Christian's suffering can be God's will. (As does 1 Peter 3:17.) 1st Petey 4:19 says “So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.”
I can honestly, thankfully, say that I have never really before suffered as a disciple of Christ. There was that one time in middle school when I told a classmate that I didn't think he should swear that much and he ignored me but this... I still have not really suffered true persecution. No one has nailed me to a cross, nor do I want to. Have I been made of? Insulted (1 Peter 4:14) ? Yes. But I haven't been thrown in jail, beaten, tortured, or stoned. (Again, not that I want to be! Don't get the wrong idea!) However, this is a difficult place to be a Christian so when a large group of the church goers ask me if I want to go to lunch, how can I possibly say no?

I had taken for granted many things in the States. American television (go figure), talk about American football, Arbys's curly fries, driving my car, but most of all my like-minded good Christian friends and family. I am blessed to be able to miss them. And in turn, I am blessed to be made stronger by being here, in this different world known as Prague.



Thought for the Day: 2 Chronicles 16:9
"The eyes of the Lord search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1