Day 19

Day 19: 1/19/09

Thought for the Day: AAAAaahhhh!

At 8 am, I went into a Czech primary school and taught English as only a novice native English speaker can... poorly.
At the very beginning of the class, all of the students put their stuff down and kept standing up. The teacher told me that I have to say “good morning children” and tell them to sit down. So I said “good morning children”, they quickly said back “Good morning teacher!” I replied, “You may sit down.” and they did, ready to begin.
I introduced myself and where I'm from, then asking them to make name tages. But they already had them, so so much for wasting time on fun creative things. The teacher had asked me to talk about American schools so I did and sped through everything I had prepared. I even had a power point presentation with pictures I yanked off of the internet including photos of my elementary, middle, and high school. The only question that I student asked me was when does the day start. Besides that, they all understood me, or at least said that they did. Whenever I asked a question, they could answer it, especially (and surprisingly) after they had been speaking Czech to their friends.
When I was nearing my lesson of nothing, I saw that I still had thirty minutes. So we played hangman until the chimes that signaled the end of the period.
I had to tell them they could leave. Which I find bizarre because in the States, as soon as the bell rings, its impossible to say a word over the stamping of moving feet and chattering students.

And at this point of writing, the day's not even half over. My learning starts up again at 2 followed by student teaching. But at least its not me today, its the other half of the class teaching upper -intermediate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1