Day 7

Day 7: 1/7/09

I actually taught English today! Two Czech ladies came in for the free lesson from us lowly students and put up with us. When it was my turn to give the lesson, my idea to talk about directions had been taken by someone else. So I improvised. I asked them to pretend I was a tourist and tell me how to get to Prague Castle. And then back. They did exceptionally well, perhaps I should have asked them to do something harder. But my classmates thought it was good and I looked comfortable up there. I can blame all the embarrassing moments in front of people at college and camp for that. I said ya'll once and didn't always praise or correct them, which the trainers say is important.
It was a short day but learned about more about different teaching styles, similar to what I've heard before. There's the Explainer, the Involver, and the Enabler. Looking back, I've had all kinds of teachers on this list and some used various tactics.

Today, I bought an international cell phone! I went into T-mobile, and told them I wanted a cheap phone. The guy looked at me funny, then turned around and spoke Czech to another employee who laughed and came over. So I told this guy that I wanted a cheap cell phone. He nodded, grabbed a box, gave me a SIM card, included a certain amount of minutes and charged me about $40 for the whole thing. So now I am an expat for real, I guess. Cause then I met up with Andy and Amanda and bought groceries.
The four of us Americans (Peter came later) went back to Andy's and my place for dinner and played cards and other stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1