Day 21
Day 21: 1/21/09
Thought for the day: “Christianity is Christ as revelation of what God is and what man is to be.” Alva McClain
Today, I had a bad teaching experience. Five students came in for a pre-Intermediate lesson and I made the mistake of trying to teach them about phrasal verbs. You don't know what phrasal verbs are? Well, apparently, I can't explain it. So you should just look it up online. But anyway, here we go:
Phrasal Verbs are verbs that contain a preposition to make a phrase. Like: “wake up.” Up is a preposition and wake is a verb. So put em together, ya git phrasal verbs. Some of these phrasal verbs can be split up “wake up.” It still makes sense to say “Wake him up.” But if you try to add a direct object in the phrasal verb “eat out” it doesn't make sense. “I eat with you out”? Neh. Doesn't work.
Enough grammar. I get it all day and you probably don't want to know. Oh, but our teacher always reviews everyone's lesson for the day and at the end, she reads what the Czech students wrote. Most of them were helpful but the last one she read, "And this one says... "perfect." She paused... "Right. Next, we have..." Even if she is from another part of the world, there was no confusion lost in that awkward silence.
On another subject completely. I'm surprised at how many people would rather take a spoonful of mustard than anything else. No nose hair? C'mon people, live a little.
For those of you that haven't noticed or voted in the poll to right, directly above the two time zone clocks, vote. Its fun. It gives me something to do while I'm in this gray wet city called Prague with nothing to do, nothing to see, and nowhere to go (jk lol)
Thought for the day: “Christianity is Christ as revelation of what God is and what man is to be.” Alva McClain
Today, I had a bad teaching experience. Five students came in for a pre-Intermediate lesson and I made the mistake of trying to teach them about phrasal verbs. You don't know what phrasal verbs are? Well, apparently, I can't explain it. So you should just look it up online. But anyway, here we go:
Phrasal Verbs are verbs that contain a preposition to make a phrase. Like: “wake up.” Up is a preposition and wake is a verb. So put em together, ya git phrasal verbs. Some of these phrasal verbs can be split up “wake up.” It still makes sense to say “Wake him up.” But if you try to add a direct object in the phrasal verb “eat out” it doesn't make sense. “I eat with you out”? Neh. Doesn't work.
Enough grammar. I get it all day and you probably don't want to know. Oh, but our teacher always reviews everyone's lesson for the day and at the end, she reads what the Czech students wrote. Most of them were helpful but the last one she read, "And this one says... "perfect." She paused... "Right. Next, we have..." Even if she is from another part of the world, there was no confusion lost in that awkward silence.
On another subject completely. I'm surprised at how many people would rather take a spoonful of mustard than anything else. No nose hair? C'mon people, live a little.
For those of you that haven't noticed or voted in the poll to right, directly above the two time zone clocks, vote. Its fun. It gives me something to do while I'm in this gray wet city called Prague with nothing to do, nothing to see, and nowhere to go (jk lol)
Comments