Day 51: Back in Prague
Day 51: Thursday
Waking up at 6 o'clock in the morning is never fun. Try 4. I rolled out of bed and packed up, trying not to bother my hostel roommates. Of course I forgot that the metro stops around midnight so the hostel guy called a taxi. Only 33 euros. I'll leave the calculation to dollars up to you. I don't want to worry about it. When the cab driver asked me what terminal I had no idea. I had bought the ticket online at a cheap website called ryanair. But as soon as I said the name out loud, I questioned if it even existed. But the driver nodded and drove. And suddenly, I was in Madrid's aeropuerta. Its big and not exactly well organized. I walked back and forth from the entrance to check in to my terminal.
But very soon, we were up in the air and I desperately wanted to go to sleep. But its hard for me not to get excited when going to new places, Milan, Italy the case today. I did not actually go to Milan, that is just the category that the airport falls under cause it is so close. But I did watch the sun rise over the Mediterranean Sea. And then, not far from Milan, the Alps rose from the ground until the peaked out on their snowy tops under the clouds.
The airport is close enough to a village based on a hill that I could've gone out to the town and looked around during my four hour layover but I was tired. I just wanted to sleep. But of course I couldn't. I like to lay down or at least sit in a big comfy arm chair. Not a hard old metal airport chair. So I did some writing and a lot of pacing.
Finally, I was on board, and headed for Prague. Everyone rushed on board the no frills, no thrills airplane. Because it was cheap, there was no seat assignment. So I really really wanted the emergency exit seat for the extra leg room. And I got it! The stewardess actually asked me if I spoke English and I said yes. Others tried to sit in the other emergency exit seats but they didn't speak English. I guess that want people that can communicate to everyone in case of that “unlikely event of an emergency.”
So I had leg room and a window. But not just a window. A vortex. A crystal ball that I could look through and see mountains of legend and myth that stretched from left to right on the horizon. Mountains that sloped up and down, brown and black, sharp and round, snowy and dirty, beautiful and strong. From our humble little plane, I looked down upon the mighty Alps of Italy and I'm assuming Austria, maybe Switzerland, I don't know. But definitely Italy. And most definitely the Alps.
I had left Spain when everything was green and blue, on average 15 degrees Celcius. And I entered Prague where everything is gray and dark, today a high of negative five degrees Celcius.
Yay...
But I saw my old classmates. It had been two weeks. It went by so fast! I got my luggage from there and put it in my new apartment. But I think I'm only going to stay a week. I don't know what I would do here, besides pay rent and for food. I'm going to try to find a volunteer gig somewhere where they will feed me and give me a place to sleep in exchange for some work. (www.helpx.org) (check it!)
Waking up at 6 o'clock in the morning is never fun. Try 4. I rolled out of bed and packed up, trying not to bother my hostel roommates. Of course I forgot that the metro stops around midnight so the hostel guy called a taxi. Only 33 euros. I'll leave the calculation to dollars up to you. I don't want to worry about it. When the cab driver asked me what terminal I had no idea. I had bought the ticket online at a cheap website called ryanair. But as soon as I said the name out loud, I questioned if it even existed. But the driver nodded and drove. And suddenly, I was in Madrid's aeropuerta. Its big and not exactly well organized. I walked back and forth from the entrance to check in to my terminal.
But very soon, we were up in the air and I desperately wanted to go to sleep. But its hard for me not to get excited when going to new places, Milan, Italy the case today. I did not actually go to Milan, that is just the category that the airport falls under cause it is so close. But I did watch the sun rise over the Mediterranean Sea. And then, not far from Milan, the Alps rose from the ground until the peaked out on their snowy tops under the clouds.
The airport is close enough to a village based on a hill that I could've gone out to the town and looked around during my four hour layover but I was tired. I just wanted to sleep. But of course I couldn't. I like to lay down or at least sit in a big comfy arm chair. Not a hard old metal airport chair. So I did some writing and a lot of pacing.
Finally, I was on board, and headed for Prague. Everyone rushed on board the no frills, no thrills airplane. Because it was cheap, there was no seat assignment. So I really really wanted the emergency exit seat for the extra leg room. And I got it! The stewardess actually asked me if I spoke English and I said yes. Others tried to sit in the other emergency exit seats but they didn't speak English. I guess that want people that can communicate to everyone in case of that “unlikely event of an emergency.”
So I had leg room and a window. But not just a window. A vortex. A crystal ball that I could look through and see mountains of legend and myth that stretched from left to right on the horizon. Mountains that sloped up and down, brown and black, sharp and round, snowy and dirty, beautiful and strong. From our humble little plane, I looked down upon the mighty Alps of Italy and I'm assuming Austria, maybe Switzerland, I don't know. But definitely Italy. And most definitely the Alps.
I had left Spain when everything was green and blue, on average 15 degrees Celcius. And I entered Prague where everything is gray and dark, today a high of negative five degrees Celcius.
Yay...
But I saw my old classmates. It had been two weeks. It went by so fast! I got my luggage from there and put it in my new apartment. But I think I'm only going to stay a week. I don't know what I would do here, besides pay rent and for food. I'm going to try to find a volunteer gig somewhere where they will feed me and give me a place to sleep in exchange for some work. (www.helpx.org) (check it!)
Comments