Day 43

Day 43: 2/11/09
A very eventful day. If I get unmotivated in my writing, I just fall back to a bullet-form, listing stuff.

Breakfast was delightful. Its in a buffet style with over easy eggs, strange bacon-esque slices of ham, OJ, coffee or tea, toast and other random breakfasty foods.

FT: This morning I was happy to see I had Free Time. So one hour of nothing! Its great. SO I browsed skyscanner.net a fantastic website that is even better than chapoair.com. A flight to Rome for 30 euros! AH! The question is not about money any more. (Not that it was a big worry anyways.) But a flight back to Prague is 60 euros or about $80. And I bought a ticket to Madrid for $200. Blarg. But now I see that from Prague, a flight to the UK is as cheap as $3 and to Rome is $35!

I like Europe. Cause they like public transportation.

My two session today consisted of a one-on-one with Emilio and a phone session with Daniel. Its hard to sum up conversations but for the most part, we just talked about Europe, history, travel, and their presentations that they are required to present this week. The first one that every Spaniard has to give is about their job, the second is about something that interests them.

My two-on-two session at 1:00 was with all guys. So Antonio drove to La Alberca and bought four beers and tapas. Tapas is a generic word for what I might call appetizers. It was basically potatoes with a tangy sauce unfamiliar to anything I've tasted before. But it was good and within our hour conversation, Antonio, Juan Pedro, Colin from UK, and myself, just talked.

Lunch, I forget what lunch was but it was good. As always. And then during our siesta, Sertorio and I planned on going out to play some basketball. The hotel had a slightly flat ball so we just played horse, or burro as he called it. And then we joined five other people to play ultimate frisbee. Tarra from Canada and I were the only ones who knew how to play so it was fun teaching Ultimate to Englishmen and Spaniards. I guarded against David who is from Bacilla where he works on renewable energy sources. A growing company that makes solar panels for bigger companies. Cool. I forget what Mikal and Sertorio does. Laura works in a construction business and Tarra does something in Canada. Probably with sled dogs.

The afternoon's group activity was, in a word, amazing. We split into seven groups and had to re-enact a fairy tale or legend... without using a known language. Unfortunately, no one babbled like idiots in a strange alien tongue. Everyone just pantomimed or made animal noises. Where else except Pueblo Ingles can you watch an orthopedic surgeon huff and puff and blow a pig's house down?
I was Jack because I was the youngest and Juan Pedro was the beanstalk because he was wearing green. John, a tall six-five man from England, was the giant. David was the old man with the magic bean and Colin was the old cow. Ana Isabel was my mother wearing an old lady mask and I forget the name of the lady that laid the golden egg. But when she buckawed! I couldn't help but laugh. Which made it even funnier.

The rest of the afternoon was all theater practice. We created a parody on Pueblo Ingles where I just sat in the back of the class, uncaring but with a slingshot so that was fun.

After dinner, there was a football match. Not American football. Soccer. Spain versus England. And of course Spain won 2-0. It was very fun to watch Spaniards go “Ooooo-LE!” for every pass.

After the 'match,' I walked outside and looked at the stars and the bright moon. So if you are curious where I am, here we go. At midnight, the moon was behind me, and Orion was to my left, standing straight up. To my right was the Big Dipper, also standing straight up, but precariously on its handle.

Comments

Nick Danger said…
YOU are a PUNK! YOU get to play ULTIMATE FRISBEE.... IN SPAIN!!!while I have to suffer through law school! RAHHHHHHH!!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1