Day 34
Day 34: Feb 3, 09
So the landlord has no problem with us staying here for another month.
Am I worried about getting kicked out of our apartment in two days with nowhere to go but Spain on Thursday? Not at all!
I will move out seeing how there are three people (other course takers) taking my place. But the apartment is big with six mattresses available to crash upon.
So this week involves emailing and calling jobs and getting a job! My budget may allow me a crazy side trip to the Iberian peninsula (no not Siberia, that's just too crazy!) but I would like a job with the certificate that I will receive.
Do you ever get epitomes? You think of something and then you're like “Ah Hah! Wow! That's true!” I have had a couple of those in the past few years.
1. Darkness does not overwhelm light. A light cannot be overtaken by darkness. It is the light that does all of the overpowering. If it seems that the dark is winning, it is the light's fault for not being bright enough. (Yes this is a metaphor!) So no matter how dark my thoughts are or how dark I think I am, God's light on me and God's light in me is more powerful than any darkness in the universe.
2. I always heard the verse Romans 3:23 saying that everyone has fallen short of God's standard. And that God offers forgiveness to everyone through His Son (Romans 6:23, 1 John 1:9)... But what about the verse right after Romans 3:23, which is of course Romans 3:24 which says that all are justified?
What? “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.”?
ALL are justified? Anyone who had sinned is forgiven. So if all have sinned, all have been forgiven. So what more needs to be done, does everyone go to heaven? To be 'saved' is not just being forgiven. Yes it is, but it is more than that. To be saved is to be forgiven (which everyone has) and to accept it. Accept God's free gift of grace, paying your debt.
3. The Trinity is a much acclaimed, much debated, much confused idea. Not a word found in Scripture, it is a doctrine founded by the early church to title the Three-Persons of God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. God is everywhere (Spirit) and He came to earth as a man (Son) and He is, well.... God (Father). But somehow, after years of being raised Christian, I realized one day when reading Colossians 1 and then reading it again and again, that Jesus IS God. I mean, I knew it all along, but then I KNEW. Ya know?
Not much of an epitome but it was and is a topic that deserves a worshipful prayer.
So the landlord has no problem with us staying here for another month.
Am I worried about getting kicked out of our apartment in two days with nowhere to go but Spain on Thursday? Not at all!
I will move out seeing how there are three people (other course takers) taking my place. But the apartment is big with six mattresses available to crash upon.
So this week involves emailing and calling jobs and getting a job! My budget may allow me a crazy side trip to the Iberian peninsula (no not Siberia, that's just too crazy!) but I would like a job with the certificate that I will receive.
Do you ever get epitomes? You think of something and then you're like “Ah Hah! Wow! That's true!” I have had a couple of those in the past few years.
1. Darkness does not overwhelm light. A light cannot be overtaken by darkness. It is the light that does all of the overpowering. If it seems that the dark is winning, it is the light's fault for not being bright enough. (Yes this is a metaphor!) So no matter how dark my thoughts are or how dark I think I am, God's light on me and God's light in me is more powerful than any darkness in the universe.
2. I always heard the verse Romans 3:23 saying that everyone has fallen short of God's standard. And that God offers forgiveness to everyone through His Son (Romans 6:23, 1 John 1:9)... But what about the verse right after Romans 3:23, which is of course Romans 3:24 which says that all are justified?
What? “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.”?
ALL are justified? Anyone who had sinned is forgiven. So if all have sinned, all have been forgiven. So what more needs to be done, does everyone go to heaven? To be 'saved' is not just being forgiven. Yes it is, but it is more than that. To be saved is to be forgiven (which everyone has) and to accept it. Accept God's free gift of grace, paying your debt.
3. The Trinity is a much acclaimed, much debated, much confused idea. Not a word found in Scripture, it is a doctrine founded by the early church to title the Three-Persons of God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. God is everywhere (Spirit) and He came to earth as a man (Son) and He is, well.... God (Father). But somehow, after years of being raised Christian, I realized one day when reading Colossians 1 and then reading it again and again, that Jesus IS God. I mean, I knew it all along, but then I KNEW. Ya know?
Not much of an epitome but it was and is a topic that deserves a worshipful prayer.
Comments