DAY 50!!!!!!

Day 50: Wednesday: February 17, 2009
Today is a relaxing day. But then again, this whole trip is relaxing for me.
I got up and went out to find a new wall adapter. I'm not sure if all of you faithful readers know that Europe is different in many different aspects. Our USA three pronged wall plugs cannot work in Europe. Over here they are based for 220 volts. Not whatever the US ones are. I had received an adapter for Christmas but its not working now, I don't know why, so I had to buy a new one.
I went to a newspaper stand and asked “Donde esta... electronic store?”
He said “Que?”
I whipped out the not-working-adapter and he said “oh technologia!” He proceeded to speak English and pointed over there. But I heard him say “corte ingles” which is a big store all over central Madrid. So off I went!
But once inside, I realized I was in a bookstore.
“Pardon? Hables Ingles?”
“More or less.”
“Donde esta...” I held up my adapter.
“Ah... go this way all. On the .... right.”
“Gracias.”
“Adios.”
I went all the way down the road he pointed to and came to a seven floor “La Corta Ingles.” Cool. I went inside and started browsing in the third floor which said “electronics.” But I couldn't find anything so... “Pardon? Donde esta...” I held up my adapter.
She spoke very fast Spanish to a co-worker who replied in faster. She must have seen my confused look and said. “Sixth floor.”
“Gracias.”
So I went to the sixth floor which included “small appliances.” All of the store signs had Spanish and English so I wasn't completely lost. So I found the appliances sections and found electrical surge protectors and looked around the corner. There they were! But so many to choose from... I had no idea so once again I asked... “Pardon? Donde esta...” I held up my adapter.
“Ah si.” He picked out the right one and handed it to me.
It didn't look right.
“Por American?”
“Si.”
“OK.”
He immediately walked to the cashier and charged me eleven euros.
And here I am, typing away in the hostel. So it works. Next, I'm going to charge my camera and then go to Prague, post all the hundreds of pictures I have taken since.
But first I have one last night in Madrid. What to do...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1