May 17
May 17th
Mont d'Olmes
Today is Sunday but Discover America Day. Usually that is Tuesday but since the kids came on Saturday and we got almost zero-weekend, the schedule is messed up. However, we do get a four day weekend starting Thursday. Tomorrow is Wild West Day, and following is Hollywood Day. And then it is Graduation/ Farewell Day and they are gone by Wednesday afternoon.
Being on activities is more preference. I am certified to teach English but Activities is more fun and I feel like I get more free time. And my free time is during ESL classes, not the afternoon games and activities. So my job is to play rather than teach. I like it.
I bought my plane ticket. Did I already write about that? Maybe. I have been entering blog entries on the camp computers as well as my laptop. More so the former as of late since my laptop is being held up by packaging tape on both sides. The monitor was iffy for a while but now it flops in the breeze like ... something that flops. My English is deterreating. I force myself to use big words every now and then to keep up my vocab. Otherwise, I would come back to the States talking like I was to the French kiddies. “Where” -wave my hands in several directions- “are you” -point at the student- “going?”- shrug my shoulders and put a confused face on. This week however, their English is not too bad. They know several different phrases but like all the others, they have a little trouble with new things such as our mandatory mealtimes requests “May I have some___ please?” They are good kids though. Some are energetic but they are good. Not crazy and troublesome like Zedd or Ladybug. Or at least not yet. This week, Pikachu might be a handful and maybe Dizzy and Peter Pan who are in my Pacman family. Peter Pan Pacman. C'est bon.
Only two more weeks. Wow. I'm looking forward to being home for a few days and then Triple R Ranch again. This will be my fourth summer. I'm getting old.
The mountain is turning green. Not sick or jealous but alive. The peaks are still white with snow and dark gray with rock but halfway up, there are green trees and grass. There is talk of a hike with the students. I'm excited. The kids may not be.
And then on Tuesday night for the dance, we are going to go to the Big Boy club a short walk from our site. Last night, the staff went there for two hours. We thought there would no nobody but us there but in fact there were three people chatting at the bar. As soon as the door opened for us, indy said in French, 'the Americans have arrived!' We got free entry and free t-shirts. I think I danced for a grand total of five seconds. So I've been to a European club. Woot.
Congress starts in ten minutes. I should go. Maybe I'll continue this blog later. Probably not. A camp day in its entirety could fill up so many pages. I'll just tell you about it when I see you in two weeks.
Mont d'Olmes
Today is Sunday but Discover America Day. Usually that is Tuesday but since the kids came on Saturday and we got almost zero-weekend, the schedule is messed up. However, we do get a four day weekend starting Thursday. Tomorrow is Wild West Day, and following is Hollywood Day. And then it is Graduation/ Farewell Day and they are gone by Wednesday afternoon.
Being on activities is more preference. I am certified to teach English but Activities is more fun and I feel like I get more free time. And my free time is during ESL classes, not the afternoon games and activities. So my job is to play rather than teach. I like it.
I bought my plane ticket. Did I already write about that? Maybe. I have been entering blog entries on the camp computers as well as my laptop. More so the former as of late since my laptop is being held up by packaging tape on both sides. The monitor was iffy for a while but now it flops in the breeze like ... something that flops. My English is deterreating. I force myself to use big words every now and then to keep up my vocab. Otherwise, I would come back to the States talking like I was to the French kiddies. “Where” -wave my hands in several directions- “are you” -point at the student- “going?”- shrug my shoulders and put a confused face on. This week however, their English is not too bad. They know several different phrases but like all the others, they have a little trouble with new things such as our mandatory mealtimes requests “May I have some___ please?” They are good kids though. Some are energetic but they are good. Not crazy and troublesome like Zedd or Ladybug. Or at least not yet. This week, Pikachu might be a handful and maybe Dizzy and Peter Pan who are in my Pacman family. Peter Pan Pacman. C'est bon.
Only two more weeks. Wow. I'm looking forward to being home for a few days and then Triple R Ranch again. This will be my fourth summer. I'm getting old.
The mountain is turning green. Not sick or jealous but alive. The peaks are still white with snow and dark gray with rock but halfway up, there are green trees and grass. There is talk of a hike with the students. I'm excited. The kids may not be.
And then on Tuesday night for the dance, we are going to go to the Big Boy club a short walk from our site. Last night, the staff went there for two hours. We thought there would no nobody but us there but in fact there were three people chatting at the bar. As soon as the door opened for us, indy said in French, 'the Americans have arrived!' We got free entry and free t-shirts. I think I danced for a grand total of five seconds. So I've been to a European club. Woot.
Congress starts in ten minutes. I should go. Maybe I'll continue this blog later. Probably not. A camp day in its entirety could fill up so many pages. I'll just tell you about it when I see you in two weeks.
Comments