Four Day weekend here I come!

May 20th
Mont d'Olmes

So I never posted that lost blog entry on time. I'll do it now.

What a great week! The kids were super, the new counselors that got transferred to us were great, the weather was fantastic. The trees are green everywhere. There are some late bloomers but there is green were there was brown, gray, and white. This mountain site is turning into something beautiful. In an hour, I'm gonna go hike up the mountain again and see if anyone is interested in joining me. A car load already left for Perpignan- or however you spell it- and then tomorrow, Aladdin, Carebear, Doodle, and I are following. We will go the Mediterranean Sea, hang at the beach, maybe see a castle, see the town and chill. CJ, Grizz, Dotcom, Indy, and Brooklyn are doing there own thin tonight as we stay at this beautiful mountain. Two weeks ago, I do not think this place was beautiful. Majestic, maybe, as any mountain should be. But lovely to the eye? No.
I'm sitting outside for the first time with my tapped-up laptop. I hear a bee buzzing, birds, and the sound of water rushing through the pipes underneath the ski slopes. The snow is melting. Where there was once piles of white on the mountain peaks, I see large patches of dark brown and darker gray. I want to make it up to a peak today, not just the Col du Cadene. Yeah, I double checked my last trip up there and I went to Cadene's Neck, not Han's Peak. But today, just you wait...

This week, there were so many great kids. From Pikachu to Vanilla Ice to Tarzan to Dizzy, I liked them all. As I suspected, Peter Pan did give me a little trouble but nothing unforgivable. And we had the 'Boom' - that is the weekly dance- at the Big Boy Discotecque. It ended up being a ten minute walk down the road but totally worth it. We had smoke, black lights, and a disco ball. I took some pictures for some people who had camera's as they danced and had an entertaining time. I did not dance much outside of the Cha Cha Slide but whatever. The kids had a blast and there ended up being three couples during the slow dances to which everyone else “oooooh!”ed too.
A jet is streaming through the air above and the breeze gently pushes whispy clouds and their bulkier brothers are creating shadows on the hills. I think I see a small waterfall across the ski slopes. It's possible. Does anyone want a souvenir from the mountain top? I'm gonna pocket a few pebbles.

One more week of camp and I'm back in the US. Exactly two weeks, and Triple R precamp starts. I can hardly wait!

PS: Carebear/Carrie and I climbed the mountain. Halfway up, it started to get snowy. Until then, it was grass and then rocks and then snow. So there were like three stages. It was cool. Going up was difficult but coming down was a blast running and sliding. My ceap Carrefour sneakers don't have much traction so I slid a lot, purposefully.. sometimes. Once, I counted eight seconds of drift.
The Pyrenees were in their full majesty with little clouds above. Carrie took a break at the Cadené Neck where I had stopped last time as I ran up the rest of the way to Han's Peak. I bellowed my triumph as Carrie took a sweet picture of me as a silhoutte.
Trying to see the entire mountain range of the Pyrenees was impossible. The mountains and base hills curved blocking my view, even from the terrific peak I stood on. The sun was slowly setting since it was seven o'clock at night so there was a strong glare when I looked out from Han's Peak of 2050 meters. The American Village site sat 500 meters below to the north and Carrie was about 100 meters to the East, to my left as I looked out at the glorious mountain range. I hear a goat or a sheep bleat and saw a small flock far away. THe wind was strong so I held on to my hat as I hopped back towards Carrie and from the Col dul Cadene, we jogged back to camp just in time for dinner. We're planning train times now to Perpignan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1