Com se?
April 29th 2009
Mont d'Olmes
So I'm not exactly like Antonie Banderas in 13th Warrior, who just listened to a foreign language and picked up every grammar point, idiom and insult; but I am learning some French. Very little, but French nonetheless. My faithful readers may also be curious to know that I am starting to learn how to juggle. No bowling pins yet, however.
The power outage last night may have forced the whole carnival to close down including my exciting and popular ring toss but instead, we had a great time that was the highlight of the day- at least for the staff. A shadow puppet show was conducted from back stage; a scary story was told; a song they learned in school was sung by the students; cheers were conducted; and all in all, people had a good time. I have no idea if they got to their beds safely but the counselors took a moment and stared up at the pristine starry sky not too far above us. Through our window into the valley- a mountainous pass opening up near the parking lot of the resort below us- we could see a city below and far away with electricity. The lack of power for us and the nearby town probably helped the anti-light pollution campaigns last night but we could see the stars clearly for the first time since at least I've been here.
The kids are more rowdy this week than the last. Next week, there will be even less kids. Which means more time off for staff. That's the one thing about camp that I don't like. The lack of personal time to oneself. I like my me time. So when it starts to hail and everyone stops sledding into our little ramp and goes in to their rooms to change, I like to step back, breathe, and look up at the mountains. I do not always consider all the works God's hands have made but often while I am on this white snowy peak, my soul sings about how great He is.
Today is skit prep day. Again, I have the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. The kids don't know it so I told a quick rendition and they make a quick rendition of that. Last week, they completely botched it up but it might have been the best out of the whole lot of them. The three hopping servants certainly helped. Now, however, I have one of the worst behaved students in my group and a girl who doesn't want to be kissed by the prince/Beast. That's okay with me as long as the skit goes painlessly. We preform tomorrow, the day they leave. Yeah, they leave tomorrow so everyone gets a three day week end. Unpaid of course.
Then I only have four more weeks of English camp and then I go back home. Wow. Is my adventure almost done already?
Mont d'Olmes
So I'm not exactly like Antonie Banderas in 13th Warrior, who just listened to a foreign language and picked up every grammar point, idiom and insult; but I am learning some French. Very little, but French nonetheless. My faithful readers may also be curious to know that I am starting to learn how to juggle. No bowling pins yet, however.
The power outage last night may have forced the whole carnival to close down including my exciting and popular ring toss but instead, we had a great time that was the highlight of the day- at least for the staff. A shadow puppet show was conducted from back stage; a scary story was told; a song they learned in school was sung by the students; cheers were conducted; and all in all, people had a good time. I have no idea if they got to their beds safely but the counselors took a moment and stared up at the pristine starry sky not too far above us. Through our window into the valley- a mountainous pass opening up near the parking lot of the resort below us- we could see a city below and far away with electricity. The lack of power for us and the nearby town probably helped the anti-light pollution campaigns last night but we could see the stars clearly for the first time since at least I've been here.
The kids are more rowdy this week than the last. Next week, there will be even less kids. Which means more time off for staff. That's the one thing about camp that I don't like. The lack of personal time to oneself. I like my me time. So when it starts to hail and everyone stops sledding into our little ramp and goes in to their rooms to change, I like to step back, breathe, and look up at the mountains. I do not always consider all the works God's hands have made but often while I am on this white snowy peak, my soul sings about how great He is.
Today is skit prep day. Again, I have the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. The kids don't know it so I told a quick rendition and they make a quick rendition of that. Last week, they completely botched it up but it might have been the best out of the whole lot of them. The three hopping servants certainly helped. Now, however, I have one of the worst behaved students in my group and a girl who doesn't want to be kissed by the prince/Beast. That's okay with me as long as the skit goes painlessly. We preform tomorrow, the day they leave. Yeah, they leave tomorrow so everyone gets a three day week end. Unpaid of course.
Then I only have four more weeks of English camp and then I go back home. Wow. Is my adventure almost done already?
Comments