Fog/ mist/ cloud

April 25th
Mont d'Olmes

If those reading this know me, you know I tend to be quiet, not always the engager of conversation, and perhaps at times seclusive if not independently comfortable. So a job as a camp counselor in which I must talk all day and do nothing but teach English and start conversations at the dinner table is unusual, fun, different, challenging, and sometimes difficult. I'm definitely getting used to it but as a back up plan, if the students are talking amongst themselves at lunch and laughing, I'll butt in and ask, “How do you say that in English?” to which they hesitate, shake their head, chuckle, and then comment on how crazy their friend is. They say this only of course as a back up plan for themselves.

I like to imagine sometimes that my life is a play or a tv show with a live audience. I wish I could add a laugh track to moments that are absurd or awkward. You ever see a scene in a movie that is so awkwardly uncomfortable that you're really glad that you did not have to be in there, being a part of it? The other day, I was in that scene. Ask me about it sometime.

Another week of camp is done and gone and as I browse the internet or do things on the camp's computers more, I find that typing on my own computer is becoming a challenge. At first, typing on a bizarre French keyboard was weird. Actually, first was a Czech keyboard. Then Spanish. I have found my routine now and am typing without many mistakes except my own common misspellings. It's weird that I never considered – but it makes complete perfect sense- that keyboards around the world would be different.

Avoiding camp gossip and drama, I will talk about the great kids. Everyone agrees that Fozzie was super but Cannonball was a dud – no pun intended by Willow but I liked it – and Katy Perry was adorable. It is strange to think that next week we will grow attached to a whole new batch of students. Maybe not. This week was a great bunch of kids. Their English was good so conversations were easy. If nothing else, we could talk about simple things and how at the table 'crazy' was using the motion of tapping on the side of the head or 'toc toc' as the Asterix comics portrayed to me first. Thanks Melissa.

Is the camp name Les Monts d'Olmes or Mont d'Olmes? I don't know. The camp and staff calls it the former but google maps only recognizes the latter. I tried to find some good photos of the ski slopes online in order to share the sights outside my window. This late morning, a misty cloud drifted over the slopes and continued into the valley towards the town of Foix. At different times, we could see the cloud against the opposite mountains while at other times we were in the midst of the mist. Oh yeah, and last night, around nine, the sun was still present enough to offer some light on our mountains and one thin pink cloud hovering over the peak.

Today, the seven of us went for a walk in the fog/cloud/mist. The snow is melting fast as there is a current of trickling water on the road. At various places, I can hear the rush of large amounts of water gushing down the hills. Yet still, a small snowman three girls and I made on the sledding hill on Wednesday is still there.

Why is it that whenever I get a haircut, people comment oh it looks so much better now? Does this mean that my hair was horribly atrocious before?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1