15 years later


Blogging 15 years later:

A decade and a half ago, I traveled to Europe. I enjoyed teaching, found a passion, and ran with it. I also grew deeper in my relationship with God, experiencing him not just in the Bible Belt but for myself in a big way. 

Returning to Virginia, I got a job washing windows, and went back to school at Old Dominion University. I earned a Master's in Education, with a state certificate to teach secondary English. Meanwhile, while helping out at Triple R Ranch summer camp, I found my best friend, Kristen. Many dates and conversations later, I moved to live near here while she finished school at Asbury University, proposed, and we got married 10 years ago in 2014. 

We moved to Virginia where I continued to wash windows, and I happened upon a job at NET Academy in Norfolk - but it was only part time. So I applied all over for a full time teaching job. The King's Academy in South Carolina offered me a position. My wife and I discussed and prayed. If they offered a certain salary, then we would re-locate. Well, they offered that number, so we moved. 

I taught English, Speech, keyboarding, computer science, and other electives like multi-media journalism, or whatever the office asked me to do. I even was handed a semester of PE because they accidentally double-booked the coach to be in the gym and weightlifting room at the same time. 

Above all, I loved teaching the Bible to these young adults. I was blessed with 7th and 8th grade Bible, and a couple of classes of high school Bible along with the the other Bible teacher. When he left to be a pastor, I continued to teach the curriculum for all of the Bible classes. I also created an apologetics course that included chess half of the time so the students could develop critical thinking about why they think and believe what they do.

I helped out with mission trips, school plays, and became the sound coordinator - setting up audio equipment and adjusting for quality. I led training modules for colleagues concerning Google Classroom, Renweb (a LMS now named Facts), and more.

Kristen and I grew our family. After several miscarriages, Eleanor is a bright light. I had hoped she would experience TKA, its elementary teachers, its mission. But alas...

So it is in this season that I'm disentangling from TKA. As they move in a different direction, I must as well. I'll unfurl my sails and grab the helm. I don't know where the wind is blowing, but I know it blows wherever it pleases, and "so it is with everyone born of the Spirit" (John 3:8).

I pray for wisdom from God "who gives generously to all" who ask (James 1:5). I trust Him as my refuge and shelter (Psalm 91). Apart from him, I have no good thing (Psalm 16). Only God knows where I'm headed for this season. So of course I trust him. He is doing good things. A good father does not give his son a snake when asked for bread, and that's an earthly father - How much greater are the good things my heavenly Father has in store for me?

It comes down to trust - which can be hard. This season will probably be difficult. But difficult isn't bad if I'm trusting God. Growth can hurt. Pruning may look detrimental. But... God is doing good things.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day ?

Day 1